|TM ID||TM 10051|
|Findspot (DEChriM ID)||50 (Qaṣr Qārūn)||Class||Textual|
P.Abinn. 6; P.Lond. II 413: Letter from Apa Mios to Abinnaeus.
One of the three letters sent by Apa Mios (P. Abinn. 6, 7, 8, and probably P. Abinn. 19) to his "beloved brother" (τῷ ἀ̣γ̣[απ]ητῷ ἀδε̣λ̣φῷ) Abinnaeus, commander of the cavalry (praefectus alae) in Dionysias. The subject of this letter is to request the loan of nets from regimental headquarters in order to catch gazelles which were damaging the crops.
On the question of whether Abinnaeus was a Christian and for his relationship with monks and clergy, see Bell et al. 1962: 32-33, Barnes 1985: 373-374, Choat 2006: passim, Luijendijk 2008: 35, n. 42, Kaiser 2015: 383, Choat 2017: 47.
Recto: Use of nomina sacra (not always contracted); signature of Apa Mios, in the end (l. 26), from an illiterate hand; text written along the fibres.
|Selection criteria||Mention of Christian cult officials/institutions, Christian terms/formulas/concepts, Nomina sacra|
Dated to ca. 346 in ed. pr.
According to Gallazzi (2015: 177-178), all of the dated texts of Abinnaeus archive are dated between 343 and 351 AD, that is, in the period in which Abinnaeus exercised his functions of praepositus of the castra (342-351).
|Absolute/relative date||Relative date|
Purchased as part of a lot comprising Papyri 401-447 from the Reverend Chauncey Murch (b. 1856, d. 1907) on 15 May 1893 (British Library website).
While it was previously thought that Fl. Abinnaeus' archive was found in Philadelpheia where he went to live after his retirement, Gallazzi 2015 argued that Fl. Abinnaeus should have left his papers in his office (or in his lodgings), in Dionysias, when he left the army and handed over the command of the castra to others. The material would have been recovered in Qaṣr Qārūn, at the end of the nineteenth century, by antiquities seekers or sebākh quarrymen and given to merchants of Medînet el-Fayûm, where they would have been intermingled with the documents recovered at Kharabet el-Gerza (Philadelphia), before reaching European collections.
London, British Library, Pap 413