|Findspot (DEChriM ID)||15 (al-Baǧawāt)||Class||Funerary element, Textual|
Cipriano 2003: 280: Funerary inscription.
Next to two cruces ansatae, one name written in majuscule: "Diogenēs", with accents on the short vowels.
|Selection criteria||Christian symbols/gestures/isopsephy, Archaeological context associated with Christian markers|
The integration of the dipinto into the decoration (perfect identity of colour noted by Cipriano) and architecture of the chapel makes it part of the original use of the chapel. Dated end 4th or early 5th c. by Cipriano.
|Absolute/relative date||Relative date|
Chapel no. 89, on the wall facing the entrance, at 1,87 m high from the pavement, on the right side of the central niche.
Acc. to Fakhry 1951: 137, Chapel no. 89 belong to the old type 4, opening East. All the walls are coated with a layer of white plaster and a double board line of two shades of red colour is painted on the walls. Over every niche and in the pendentives there are cruces ansatae painted in red.
Al-Baǧawāt, in situ (Chapel no. 89).